Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mother Eve

So, I haven't spoken to many people about this, but I have been going through a religious upheaval. (Is that the correct spelling?) I've decided to "come out of the closet" and talk to people about it here.

I have a lot of questions and many more doubts about things I have been taught as Truth as well as things that are more implied/socialized than taught under the same category.

One of the things I struggle with about the LDS church is the role of women. I label myself a feminist. I think men and women are equal. I believe the church would claim that as well but I think in practice, there are some discrepancies between what is said on the surface and what is actually done or expected of both men and women.

Being under the impression at an early age that my religion was flawless and guided by the direct influence of an all-knowing God, I was disappointed to find flaws and inconsistencies. I still struggle to reconcile what can be considered revelation and what are simply the feelings and (presumably good) intentions of old men.

I'm starting to get a little side-tracked so I'll try to focus again. One issue I have struggled with is the story of Adam and Eve. I had become frustrated with the Creation story found in the Bible and the contradiction of the two commandments. There also is a dichotomy with Eve. LDS people say they honor Eve for her forsight in the garden but then also say she was punished for it, even though it was right. Eve's power and intelligence were never made clear to me until I read this article.

In Copper Woman, Old Woman says that women from all corners of the world have bits and pieces of the truth that we once had about women. There is Truth in Copper Woman and there is Truth in that article. I am just starting out on my journey to find my spirituality and truth again. I wanted to share the revelations I found with you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to read that article but I'm glad that you aren't just looking at non-lds articles, I was glad to see she is LDS. Good luck, Love to hear more. I myself have a lot of respect for Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the truth idea from copper woman I think that it is def. Truth. like legit. And I want more of that Truth and that article was enlightening and much better than the conventional interpretation... let me know when you get that FOB bible I think I would prefer that for scriptural reading

    ReplyDelete