Thursday, October 22, 2009

Some Recommended Reading

Daughters of Copper Woman:

I don't even know where to start. I am not finished with this book yet, I'm just a little more than halfway through. Already it has made my heart sing with gladness, challenged my old ideas about creation and Time, made me angy and cry bitter tears, and made me cry tears of sadness and compassion. The stories are mythical and magical and they hold Truth that we have forgotten. It celebrates women and their sacred power, magic, and love. I can't wait to finish so I can start reading again.

Mistborn:

This book was recommended to me by my past boyfriend, Blake. It was a captivating read. I spent an entire Saturday just reading it (which was not good -- I had a couple of midterm projects I should have been working on; which is why I'm putting off starting the second book until I get caught up). The characters are interesting and dynamic. The heroine, Vin, is awesome. She starts out a strong and clever but beaten down girl living on the streets and at the end she is the most powerful awesome woman, unafraid to love and fight for what is right. Kelsier is Vin's teacher and he is amazing, too. He totally kicks a$$ in this big fight near the end. It's got some good underlying thematic questions as well about equality and ethical use of power.

The FOB Bible:

I haven't read the whole thing because I don't own it yet (I intend to order it when I have money. At the moment, I'm completely broke). But there are some excerpts online at this site. It is a collection of literary works re-examining and re-imagining the Old Testament. I particularly liked "Blood-Red Fruit" and "Abraham's Purgatory." I think B10 Media put it best, "At once irreverent, whimsical, sexy, feminist, and poignant, this ain’t your mama’s Bible, and you sure didn’t learn this in Sunday school." The stories are insightful and even spiritual. I'd love to discuss these with you if you read them. Leave a comment about what you think or which one was your favorite/least favorite.

Same for the other books. If you've read them, let's chat :) I love discussing literature.

5 comments:

  1. So I just read Escape. I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. I can't remember if you read it or where going to read it at one point. It's the polygamist story. One part that drives me crazy is how they twist Our Religion (LDS beliefs) into thier own psycho theories. I think it's horrible what she lived through although I don't know if I believe she is a perfect angel the whole time. Like she says. Also this is a small thing but her last delivery doesn't make medical sense to me. But it is amazing that she escaped with all her girls, it's really sad I found out that her oldest Daughter went back. It's also very interesting how her version of life there is so different than the one they potray on the interview with Oprah a while ago, which her daughter was on. I also think there are actually some descent people in there who totally believe in this religion (before Warren Jeff's took over.) Because before him it was a little (tiny) bit better. But like she says these people are so brainwashed, to believe that your husband is the only one who can decide if you'll go to heaven. And if you do anything without his permission! Yeah, I dont' live like that. I don't know if I'm ramblign or not. Oh it's also not a good book for me to read and try to be nice to my husband with. When I read things like this (and the Good Earth) I get so irratated that men can get away with treating woman like property and trash. Even though Mark does not do that at all! It's weird how it affects me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just started reading it last night but I had attended a reading she gave here during Women's History Month last year.
    Do you mean that the FLDS twist the LDS beliefs or that she represents them incorrectly? I think to say that the FLDS twists the LDS beliefs is accurate, afterall the differences in beliefs is what makes them a separate segment of Mormons (meaning those who believe in the Book of Mormon and not exclusively LDS Mormons). I haven't read a part where I though she was misrepresenting the modern doctrine of the LDS church but I'm just a few chapters in. Yeah, she said her oldest daughter went back at the reading.
    I'll have to check out the Oprah interview but I personally think that any representation of the life within a culture such as the FLDS or LDS culture is biased. Those who have escaped have obviously had horrible experiences and I think some people who represent it positively actually feel that way while others might be forced into saying things they don't believe in.
    I will probably have more to say once I read the whole thing, but I agree. I feel angry that men can get away with treating women like property and trash and have done so for thousands of years. I think it is important to bring these issues to light and make proactive decisions to fight against that. And of course, not all men do that and I feel like many men respect and love women as their equals. The problem is in the larger scheme of things and hidden social values I think. It is a difficult subject to address because there are so many factors. I think it is easy to get angry at all men in general and start looking at them as one big oppressive and abusive force against women when you learn of things like this. I think that is one of the challenges of confronting this problem in a constructive way. We have to constantly be fighting stereotypes against both sexes.I don't know if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just finished Escape. I thought it was incredible. Like really unbelievable at times. I thought that Carolyn's story was believable. I'm sure she wasn't perfect ALL the time but her ability to see past the garbage that the other women were eating up is a testament to her I think.

    I think the people are just so brainwashed there. Like her daughter Betty wanted to go back. But I guess that's what would happen if you feel that God is really in that religion and you'd be going to hell if you left the community and didn't do what the priesthood told you to do. Also, Betty I think is biased because she is Merril's favorite. Like I'm pretty sure Barbara would say a ton of positive stuff about it on Oprah.

    I don't think that polygamy is innately wrong or bad and I'm sure there are some positive examples of people who lived that religion pre Warren Jeffs. I think people should be able to choose any kind of marriage relationship they think is right but they really should be able to CHOOSE it and be consenting adults.

    It is just sad how much power the men have over women. I couldn't believe how horribly Faunita was treated. I was disgusted by the abuse. Even the mothers were abusive and horrible people. You'd think the women would band together and be supportive of each other because they all had to go through the same hell. It is horrible how they have used religion to turn people against each other even within the same belief system! It is all about power and control. I wish religions could emphasize love and tolerance more than obedience and damnation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You it's true, she did have an amazing story. You know the part that his me the most was actually after her escape and suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome. Which totally makes sense. You would think after everything it should be easier, but it wasn't he battle didnt' end there. Theire religion is very scary to me, it's scares you to do what they want, especially how they are going to hell to not doing what the husband says. You know I think there is some truth in all religions but I have a really hard time finding any in theirs, especially with Jeff's in it now. And your right people should have a right to choose. You know the few things Barbara said on Oprah where of course positive, and I want to know how much they prepped the girls in what to say and not to say. She is totally evil like you said. I really don't know how ou could be like that. I was impressed though with Carolyn's dad, how he let his wives choose to stay or leave, and he didn't demand that her mom stay with her, it's sad because he really believed all that he learned only to have Jeff's come and really make it crazy. People are brain washed their, it's sad really. But betty isn't married that last I read, so that's in a way a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is in love with mistborn. Its one of her favorits.

    ReplyDelete