Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Of Birthdays and Moms

My twin sister and I were born a month early, which isn't unusual for twins. But because of this, my parents had only attended one class of many that teach new parents about the birthing process. Since my mom and dad didn't really know what they were doing, they decided to just hang out for a while (lol why? I have no idea)before heading to the hospital. My dad began calling his family telling them we would soon be on our way.

When they got around to calling the hospital, they were told to get there quick! They called my mom's parents as they were heading out the door. My Grandma Maddie and Grandpa began the drive from Logan.

Last Tuesday, Grandma Maddie called me to wish me a happy 22 birthday. She said she knew the moment I was born. My mom explained that while Grandma Maddie and Grandpa were on their way to Salt Lake, Grandma had a sudden, sharp pain in her stomach that caused her to buckle forward in pain. When she arrived at the hospital and found that Tashi and I had been delivered by C-section, she discovered that the pain happened at exactly the same time my mom was being cut open.

I love when my mom tells the stories of how her children were born (as happens on our birthdays in a tradition of sorts). In the stories, I sense the spiritual power of life and motherhood. It has given me a desire to learn more about my matriarchal history. I wish I knew more about my Grandma Jar. I wish I took more advantage of how close I live to my Grandma Maddie and even more so, my Mom. God knows I was difficult to her in my teenage years. I think sometimes it was because Tashi and I had each other so we didn't need her as much.

I thought about my mom a lot on this birthday, because she was my age when I was born. Also, because I spent the night with her at the movies. My friends were all working, busy, or are married. My sister was out at dinner with her boyfriend. In my recently single state I felt doomed to spend the night alone after a long day of work and school. But my mom made it special. And even though we don't talk very much, she somehow knows just what to do, which is why I will remember this birthday as one of the best.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I missed your birthday! Mom's do always know what to do don't they? I miss living close to mine. Hey I'm reading another good book, called The Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. moms are the best! Just cuz im married doesnt mean that im not here. I love hanging out with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize - my birthday was pretty much the same situation this year. I'm glad it was fun.

    PS - please post pics of your Lady Gaga party. I was sad I couldn't make it. I was prepped to see some crazy outfits.

    ReplyDelete