
On February 7, I went to my school's production of the Vagina Monologues as part of our V-Day celebration. For those of you not familiar with what V-day is, check out the v-day website. My dad rolled his eyes when he heard I was going. I was a little nervous going because I had come across some potent criticisms of the monologues. (I like to do a little research on things before I participate, I do the same thing about buying anything besides clothes and shoes those are usually impuls buys, and I like tangents aparently). But I really enjoyed it.
I know my mother would be horrified at some of the monologues. They talked about all things vagina related; sex, orgasms, rape, the anatomy of the vagina, the words we use to talk about vaginas, birth, etc. It was a celebration of womanhood and a call to end violence against women. 90 percent of the proceeds all went to benefit the Rape Recovery Center in Sugarhouse. The other 10 percent went to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where women's bodies are becomming the battle ground of a war.
The last and most sad monologue was one that Eve Ensler wrote about an experience she had in the DRC. It was called "Baptized." She told about a 7 year old girl she met there who had been gang raped. From that crime, she had an extra hole in her body and no longer had the ability to control her bladder. While she was sitting on Eve's lap, she accidentally peed on her. Eve said at that moment she was baptized. I understand the critiques about the Vagina Monologues that come from both conservative groups and other feminists, but I don't see how you can criticize what Eve Ensler is trying to do with the monologues and V-Day. No woman or girl should ever have to be the victim of sexual violence or abuse, and that is what V-Day is all about.

No comments:
Post a Comment