My third yoga journal entry. We were asked to write about class that week, our readings and the three part ujjayi breathing. It's rather long, which is why I put it under the link below. If you are interested, please read, otherwise, it doesn't take up so much space :)
Class this week was refreshing. I like the hero pose a lot. It makes me feel peaceful and I find it easy to work into the rhythm of the movement with my breathing. I find that even if I am having a stressful time in school, in my social life, or getting in a rut spiritually, when I leave yoga class, I feel refreshed and new. Even though the problems are still there, I feel at peace and willing to continue throughout the day with a fresh outlook and serenity. I can't fully describe it with words, but I feel very fortunate to be able to practice at least twice a week in class. I have been practicing just once on weekends but am going to try and practice more on my own throughout the week.
I finished reading the fourth chapter in Bringing Yoga to Life. She talks about feeling grateful and dedicating your practice or keeping a prayer in mind. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunities and luxuries I do. I hope that I can incorporate that feeling into my life practice always. I feel as if I am starting on that journey and am consciously trying to carry the lessons in the book into my practice and daily life. I feel so much better about myself as a person because of it. And, without getting to personal, I am making peace with mistakes I have made the past by resolving and committing to be the person I am finding within myself through this practice.
I feel that my practicing being present on the mat has helped me to reawaken to being present in life. I still am not sure if I am getting all the way to being present. I am still trying to find it and I'm sure it will be a continual process but I have noticed I experience each moment more fully. For example, at work, I sometimes will go on 'auto pilot' and I will work for hours without really being there. At the end of the day, I feel exhausted and spent but wouldn't be able to really talk about my day. Recently, however, I feel more present and able to experience and enjoy my days. I am able to have more meaningful interactions with coworkers and really respond to my duties. It feels good.
The breathing is definitely helping. I will sometimes do a couple ujjayi (I don't know if that's spelled right) breaths if I find myself getting a little lost throughout the day to bring me back to the current moment. The challenging thing is the three parts. I think I'm still working on making it a natural process and letting my breath just do it instead of forcing it on my body but it is getting easier. I think it is easier for me to think of the breath first going into the very bottom of my lungs instead of thinking belly. When I think of it going into my belly, I tend to just stick my stomach out at the beginning of each breath instead of naturally letting the breath fill that area.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ok, how do you the "read more" link. I want to do that sometimes.
ReplyDeleteThere's a link under my favorite sites called "blog hacks". There is a page there that teaches you how to make them. I think it's called an LJ cut. You have to change some things in your html code so it gets a bit complicated but the directions are fairly clear. I'll see if I can locate the exact URL
ReplyDeletemmmm.. that may be too complicated for me. But I'll take a look. By the way cute profile picture.
ReplyDelete