Saturday, September 5, 2009

le 2 aout: Rodin Museum and the Eurostar

Sunday morning, we had tentative plans to get up early and go to church somewhere in Paris. I was still interested in seeing mass at Notre Dame and most of Brittany's friends wanted to go to an American church in Paris that was similar to the church they attend at home. I want to say Protestant Church of America but don't quote me. But what ended up happening was that we all slept in pretty late. I was actually the first person to get up which never happens.

Kaitlin made us crepes for breakfast and we ate them with some yummy honey. We missed our intended train back to Paris so we had some time to wait for the next one. Brittany and I decided to leave our carry on bags which we had been taking with us at Kaitlin's and we'd pick them up when we got back from London.

When we got to Paris, we went to the Rodin museum. It was beautiful and the gardens were surprisingly large. They were very pretty and had sculptures throughout. The inside of the building which must have been a large manor back in the day was filled with sculpures as well and smaller models and mock up statues. I was pleased to find a few rooms filled with sculptures by Camille Claudel. Her work is even more amazing than Rodin's and filled emotion. I first heard of her in a open French class during Women's History Month put on by this amazing girl named Emma at Westminster. Anyways, I am a fan and was happy to see her work.

Poor Brittany, though forgot her passport in her carry on bag at Kaitlins. She was stressed out and understandably so. She left us at the museum to try and get back to Paris on time to catch our Eurostar to London. What a day it must've been for her. Poor thing. I had a little Eurostar drama but nothing compared to what Brittany went through.

Kaitlin, Marilyn, Rosie and I sat down at a little cafe, Cafe Florio, it was kind of fancy looking and just wasted a few hours there sitting and talking and people watching before Marilyn and I went to the station to go to London.

So this is where the fun began. First, I tried to get my ticket from the ticket machine but it wouldn't print my ticket because it said that I had already printed the ticket. I hadn't but thought I had, because I had sent the ticket in an email to the people at the ISA office and asked them to print it for me but they printed the email and not the enclosed ticket. My bad for not realizing this before hand but it was frustrating because then I had to go into the ticket office and explain the situation to the girl working there. Luckily, she spoke English because I was getting flustered and my train was leaving in a matter of minutes. She was helpful however, and printed me out another ticket but after I got that and ran back to the line to check in for the eurostar, they closed the check in for that train!! I was going to pass out lol like I was freaking out about missing it. Marilyn was on the train that they closed and Brittany and I were supposed to be on it. I ran back to the ticket office and told them what happened and the lady was able to put me on the next train (without a fee! I was so happy.). So then I went through the customs and like landing pass stuff, it was very thourough. They didn't do any of that for Belgium. Someone said it's because of the EU or something that they don't check between EU countries. Anyways, so I sat down on the train and called Brittany to see how things were going. She had made it back to Versailles just fine and got her passport and was nearly to the station when I spoke to her.

She was able to get on a train just after mine but what I didn't know then is that the poor girl had to put down a lot of cash to get on it because the only open seat was in first class. She was also on a super tight budget like me but luckily her parents were able to help her out and put some more money in her account.

But we all arrived safe and sound and had our first dinner in London at a pub near the underground station. I had fish and chips and Brittany wasn't too hungry because she had some food on the train (benefits of riding first class).

Pictures:
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Rodin & London
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment