I just wanted to share this lovely blog post about healthcare reform. I agree with this woman 100% There is an interesting article in the NY Times as well. The link is on my fb page, so check that out as well if you are interested.
Anyways, just wanted to share that with you all. :)
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

All I have to say is Amen! She's totally right. Is it enough for me to change my bad habits, maybe, but I definitely agree with her that the focus should be on prevention. They teach that in education too by the way, preventing bad behavior etc.
ReplyDeleteI agree! She is right. It's really up to us to prevent most of these chronic illnesses. I have to say there are few who will get cancer who is very healthy and fit, but for no reason. But the majority don't. My friend and us had this discussion the other day about the school controling how much sugar is at the school to help with obessity in children, but it's not the school's falt or the governments that people are over weight it's their own. I also said if they want to help the kids health serve a better lunch, not nuggets or hot dogs! Because so many kids are on free lunch that's what they eat. They aren't going to buy the ice cream on friday (that's for a fundrasier.) Anyway I'm not making sense. It all comes back to what's going on at your own home, your won grocery cart...we need to take care of ourselves!
ReplyDeleteSharon, you're right. There are definitely people who will get chronic illnesses through no fault of their own but a lot of the time, illnesses like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. are preventable or at least you can lower your chances of getting them.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I think the government is partly to blame as well as big food industries. There are policies that make selling bad food economical. The food industry is ridiculous. I suggest reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.
When money gets tight, families end up buying bad food because it is cheap (example: the kids that get free school lunch). For this reason, although I am normally libertarian when it comes to politics and government, I think the government has a responsibility to fix this and set policies in place that promote healthy eating and gives school kids the opportunity to eat whole, healthy food for lunch and allows the average family to afford organic, healthy foods. That would be the best kind of healthcare reform in my opinion.
I do wish they would do something better for school lunch and your right, when money is tight the healthy food is not the cheapest way to go.
ReplyDelete