Friday, July 17, 2009

le 17 juillet: le Louvre

Friday we had our second photo critique. I had some problems with my jump drive so I couldn't print out some of my favorite pictures. I wasn't as happy with these pictures as my last ones but I think they are ok. Here are the five I used:





And I wanted to use these two as well or in place of some of the ones I used for the critiqe:

We had to have class at the ISA office because we don't have the classroom on Fridays. It was good because I had some things I needed to give back to the ISA office.
After class, Brittany and I met up with Amanda to go to the Louvre. I wish I had my nice camera with me because my smaller camera was running out of batteries from Bastille Day. I was stupid for not charging it so I don't have many pictures but we for sure are going back, Brittany and I because we didn't see even a fourth of the Museum. We just saw most of the Egyptian section. Amanda really wanted to see the mummies. It was kind of creepy lol and I was thinking it is a bit odd that there is this dead person in an art museum. Like shouldn't that be in a natural history museum or something? But it was cool to see.

We all got a kick out of the tweezers that the Egyptians had. We were marveling at how old some of the things we have are, at least the technology for it. Like they had ancient dice and hair pins and tweezers lol and pretty much everything. Like modern looking hoop earrings and stuff.

We saw some Messopotamian stuff and I made us go see the Lamassu and Law Code of Hamarabi. We saw a lot of neat statues as well. We also went to see the Mona Lisa. There were a ton of people crowded around so we didn't get very close because we were meeting everyone for dinner. But the paintings were amazing and gigantic (except for La Jaconde which is rather small) but it was crazy to see all these things that I have seen in books in real life. We saw the Nike of Samothrose and also I made us run to see the Venus of Milo before we left.

That museum is incredible and gigantic. It was very easy to get lost. Madame was right of course, that we will have to go at least three times.

The Venus of Milo. Tres famous

A very blurry photo of the Nike of Samothrose

Me in front of the gigantic italien painting The Wedding Dinner. Can you find Jesus? We're wearing the same color lol seriously it is HUGE and there are tons of paintings just as big.

That's my Mona Lisa smile. It's not quite as captivating lol but I'm working on it.

This made me think of Blake cause the girl is taller lol.

One of my favorites.

Another favorite lol. The lion is biting some guys butt.

We are posing like the women in the statue ha ha. Aren't we so cute? I found a replica of this stature in a souvenir shop and I really wanted to buy it because we took this photo.

Lamassu


I'm in front of the Law Code of Hamurabi. I like the girl taking a pic w/ her phone lol

Here I am being an Egyptian scribe. I was being a really big dork that day lol.

Walking like an Egyptian in an Egyptian structure/tomb? I am not really sure but there were awesome hyrogliphs (yes, I just slaughtered that word but am too lazy to fix it) on the walls.
By the triangles made super famous by Dan Brown :D lol I have another one where I am in a dorky pose but I thought the hands on my hips was dorky enough for this post.

So then the night degressed from there. Alison wanted to go to this american diner or something and Amanda and Brittany really wanted to eat dinner with everyone so we went there even though I really didn't want to go. The stupid thing was that the other girls didn't even show up. We ordered without them because we were hungry and thought they would be there any minute. They got there when we were done and didn't even end up eating there. It was lame and I was kind of mad that I bought a second rate burger in France when I could have tried some new French food for the same price next door. GRR.

We went to the Shakespeare and Co. bookstore for a few minutes becasue Amanda wanted to see it. It was calming and there was this lovely lady playing the piano so that made me less angry and it also made me feel very cozy. I like that bookstore.

Another thing that brightened my day and made me feel better about eating a hamburger was that when we went into the metro there was this guy playing the guitar and singing and his friend was playing the flute lol and they were playing these great American/British songs. They played some Beatles and other classics and everyone that was gathered there was just happy and singing along and smiling. It was good to see people smile. I didn't realize how much I miss it. No one really smiles here just on the street. Madame is smiley but she is special, like random strangers don't smile at you. So it was like warm fuzzies to see everyone looking so happy in the metro there. I like being American. I like being an American in Paris he he.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahahaha What a statue to remind you of your boyfriend!! LOL Dirty dirty!! :-P Looks like you're having so much fun! I have gotten behind on reading your posts, but I am trying to get all caught up. I am really enjoying hearing all about your awesome adventures in Paris! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete