Thursday, July 23, 2009

le 23 juillet: Le D'Orsay

So I got a French test back today. I got a 16 out of 20 on it. It's pretty good. Their grades are a little weird here. I think it's like an A- in America but I'm not really sure how it will transfer.

I had lunch with Brittany's French class today. They were having a picnic together and so I just tagged along. We bought a baguette and some cheese and an apple. I also bought some carrot salad thing but was full enough from the baguette that I saved my salad for later.

Brittany's teacher is really funny. He is super awkwardly tall and he is into photography so he was asking about our photo class. Brittany took some pictures on my camera because she forgot the battery for hers. I'll have to stick some up here so you can see him.

For photo class, we met at the Arts et Metiers museum. They had a photo exhibit about work there. The pictures were great, a lot of them were of people working with machinery. But there were some office ones too. It was very cool. The museum was cute and whimsical. They had old cars and planes and flying machines and models of boats and trains. I would have liked to have stayed longer and seen more of it but we had planned on going to the Musee D'Orsay so we looked around for just a bit before we left.

They also had this cool pendulum thing there that shows the motion of the earth because the pendulum starts swinging in a circle... ok like back and forth but moving in a circle.

The Orsay was beautiful. It is my favorite museum that I have seen. They had such a great range of works Like realisim moving to impressionism then post impressionism. They had some really interesting stuff from Gauguin as well as the ones I really wanted to see, Monet and Van Gogh and Degas. They didn't have a ton of Degas paintings. They had a bunch but what was most impressive was their collection of his ballerina statues.

Brittany and I had both heard that the restaurant on the second floor was really good so we decided to eat there. It wasn't too badly priced and we just ordered the least expensive plat and shared a dessert as we are fond of doing. We had the rizotto. It was like cheesy rice with peas, lima beans, and green beans in it. It was very good but the dessert was simply amazing. It was a melt-in-your-mouth cake with like fudge in the middle with vanilla whipped cream and passion fruit sauce. I could drink that sauce. The service there was really good too. The waiters were all very friendly.

The restaurant itself was GORGEOUS. Brittany and I couldn't believe the view. Yes, we took pictures lol. Dinner took a while as it does in France so when we left the restaurant, the gift shop was closed which was kind of sad.

We got home kind of late and we had a paper due the next morning for photo class so we just worked on that but I was kind of bad and went to bed before it was done...EEEE

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Musee D'Orsay
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment