Friday, July 24, 2009

le 24 juillet: St. Chapelle et Louvre 2

So catching up on the last week of Paris. On friday the 24th, Brittany and I both had a photo paper due which we stayed up writing Thursday but didn't finish. We both got up early Friday to try and finish but we took a while so we skipped French class. It felt so good lol. We just got to relax in the morning and take our time in Paris.

We met up with some girls in our program who didn't have class and another girl who randomly skipped the same day as we did. It was fun. We stopped into a shop and looked around. Brittany bought another dress that was really cute. Unfortunately, we noticed later that the back pleats were falling out but they should be easily fixed by a tailor.

Alison, Brittany, and I went to see Saint Chapelle. It is another cathedrale in Paris, very close to the Notre Dame. I think that Louis IX built it. It is a stunning example of Gothic architecture, especially stained glass windows, the entire walls are basically stained glass windows and unfortunately it was a cloudy day because there was one moment when the sun came out and the windows just lit up beautifully. I wish it could have been that light all the time. It was stunning.

For photo class, we went to a museum called the Cite Nationale de l'Histoire d'Immigration. There was a photo exhibit there about immigration in Paris. It was also about the suburbs in Paris and the racial and class based segregation that the suburbs enhance. It was an interesting exhibit, especially because of the artists personal exhibition of his family. His family is Jewish and Jews in Paris have a history of being excluded and forced to leave. His photographs were an attempt to deal with that and come to terms with his history and what it means to him now. It was really interesting.

After we saw the exhibit, we were going to go out and take pictures but it started raining fairly hard and wasn't letting up so we just got out of class early. Brittany and I went to the Louvre again. We stayed in the paintings this time. There is just so much to see it is overwhelming. We got pretty tired after a while but we were like trudging along because we wanted to see it all. It is seriously impossible.

For dinner we had fish sticks and like fried potatoes. We also had a salad as usual. It was pretty good, it had a little tofu in it I believe. Our conversation at dinner was funny. Madame said I eat like a man and she was amazed that I am still thin lol. She is quite amazed. If only she could see my sister Anna lol. She eats like twice as much as I do and is super super skinny.

After dinner, we met up with Courtney and Amanda and walked along the Champs Elysees. We started by visiting the Arc de Triomph. It was sweet but I really wanted to see the view from the top. I bet it would be incredible, with the boulevards going out from it in all directions but Courtney and Brittany didn't want to spend the money. I should have just gone by myself. But anyways, it was an enjoyable evening. I stopped by the fnac (bestbuy meets borders) and bought another memory card for my camera. It is always nice to have a back up and I was having trouble with my card reader.

Here are some pictures from the day:
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Saint Chapelle
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment