Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bonjour! le 28 et le 29 juin

Ok, so I typed up this big long post in Word but I can't copy and paste into this window which sucks so I'll just let y'all know about the first two days in one post.

The first day, le 28 juin, which was a Sunday I got to the airport in the morning and met with some other people from ISA. We were all pretty tired from our flights. My flight was pretty good. I got some sleep and they fed us dinner and breakfast so that was nice.

A shuttle dropped us off at our homestays. My roommate accidentally came a day early so she was already here when I arrived. My host mother is very cute. She is small, like everything else in Paris. She is so sweet. She has a two bedroom apartment and so Brittany (my roommate) and I thought that we would be sharing a room but she sleeps on a cot in the living room and we each have our own room. My roommate is so sweet! I like her a lot and we are similar so we are getting along great.

Madame's house is a little old, also like many things in Paris but my room is so cute. The window is so French lol. I will have to take pictures of the whole apartment.

For the first night we had like rice and salmon sauce stuff. It was a little weird but ok. Breakfast on Monday was an experience, too. Lol we take our breakfast to our rooms so that we don't like wake up Madame. We have toast with jam and if we want we can have yogurt. She also has tea or coffee or juice. I tried the apple juice and it tasted a little funny and the yogurt also tasted weird. It was like eating sour cream, it was like runny and sour lol. I will try the yaourt avec le fruit next time. I took a picture of my first breakfast. Oh, and here is Brittany eating a pastry on our first day (well, her second and my first - we went out and walked around the neighborhood)









On Monday we had orientation at the Catholic Institut de Paris (le Catho). We met the other students in the program and learned some basic safety information and stuff about Paris. For lunch, we just went out walking and found a deli/pastry place and decided to picnic in the Luxembourg gardens. I got the quiche. It was a little runny I have to say I was dissapointed but the gardens are beautiful. There was a little gallery with this amazing sculpture exhibition from a modern sculptor. There is so much art appreciation here it is wonderful. We went back to le Catho for a city tour via bus. We drove around Paris and this funny English guy told us stories about what we were seeing. We got out at the Museum of Rodin (which I can't wait to go back to. We are going to visit the museums on Sunday when they are all free) and the Eiffel Tower but only for a few minutes. Here are some highlights (kind of in a weird order lol):

My runny quiche


Me @ the Eiffel Tower!!!!!! EEEE We are going for a tour next week!


This is me with some of me and Brittany's better friends in the program. From left to right: Amanda (TX), moi, Brittany (LA), Courntey (IL), Christy (IDK lol man, now I feel bad).

And me and Brittany. This one and the one before are @ the Rodin museum.


This is the cool sculpture exhibit @ the Luxembourg gardens. I wanted to take more but didn't know if photos were allowed so this was the one sneaky one I got.


A view from our tour bus. Brittany is in the act of taking a photo as well. This is at one end of the Luxembourg gardens at the end of the pathway is the palace where the senate meets.




Here is Christy and Courtney @ our picnic in the gardens.


After the bus tour, we were really tired. Madame made us Lasagna with Sardines (which still had scales and bones! yikes! They were yummy but it was weird and awkward eating around them. Madame like ate it all lol) with lemon and like zuchinni (couchron en francais I think) puree stuff which was pretty good. Lol Brittany and I saw it before and were like um, what is that green stuff? I hope it's not for dinner lol and it was but it was better than it looked. We had salade and bread and cheese of course.

After a little rest, we went out to the Latin quarter with some friends. It was me, Brittany, Allison (NC), Daisy (IDK), and Christy. We got some glace (ice cream/gelato) and walked around. The latin quarter is very fun and young. There was a really cute postcard store that I want to go back to. It has some really weird postcards lol that I didn't get at all, like a weird comic of a pig or something but the other ones were cute.

O and we saw the Notre Dame all lit up. It is so beautiful. I want to go to a mass there and see the inside. People were picnicing along the Seine as well and there were street artists everywhere. In front of the Notre Dame there were these dancers who danced with fireworks. It looked really cool but when we finally got up close enough to see it well their show was over. I need to find some pictures from facebook and download them so that I can post them here.

I'll tell you about my next few days when I get a chance! I need to catch up or I'll start forgetting what happened when. Au revoir! J'aime Paris!!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun. So who sleeps on the cot your roomate or the lady of the house? Those are some fun pictures, can't believe you are really there! I look forward for to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My host mom sleeps on the cot! It's crazy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yogurt there! It does take some getting used to though (very sour). I wish Americans would catch on to how good unpasteurized stuff is... Post some pics for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading all about it, Ali! I love the picture of you in front of the Eiffel Tower! Still can't believe it is real. We LOVE you so much! Brittany is so cute (and all the other girls too :) I am so glad you are together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, if I haven't said it yet, I'll say it now-I'm SOOOO jealous!!! I'm glad you made it safely :-D It sounds like you are having so much fun! Keep the posts and pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting time! Even breakfast is exciting! Everyone looks so nice too. Get a pick of your host mom too. More pics!!!! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, I had some yogurt with peaches in it for dinner one night and I liked it a lot better than just the natural stuff. Madame cooks and buys all organic (they say 'bio' for 'biologique' here) so some stuff tastes a little funny but a lot of it is really good.

    ReplyDelete